Marrakech Blog #3 - The power of self-reflection with CWC's Awura
text + photography by lily heaton | @lilywanderlust
How do we know when we’re on the right path? Like many of you, I too find myself asking this question at many different points in my life. The answer? We’re on the right path when we’re living a life which is true to ourselves. How? Often by walking on the “wrong” path.
During day 3 of our Honeys in Marrakech retreat, Awura hosted a self-reflection workshop. Sitting in the courtyard of our riad, Awura shared her career journey noting that she often felt like she was making great achievements for the purpose of fulfilling the dreams of others, instead of her own. This has been one of the biggest reasons for switching paths, saying goodbye to media- and entertainment law, to launch The Creative Women Collective.
We laughed, we cried and we laughed until we cried. This workshop was a wonderful way to connect to one another and with ourselves, and Awura managed to get us feeling totally chill and comfortable to be vulnerable together. We talked about the sacrifices that we’ve made to build and grow our creative businesses and that sneaky bit of doubt that somehow always manages to creep into our thoughts. Our workshop began with an eye-opening video from Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday, followed by quiet time for self-reflection and ending with a round table talk to share and learn from one another’s reflections.
Life is a journey of figuring out what works for us, and what doesn’t. The primary lesson I took away from this was to follow my intuition, and to never (ever!) betray it. The choices we make can either enhance or drain us. Stress, anxiety and insecurity are the signals that our mind and spirit sends through our body to say something is not working, or that we’re not staying true to ourselves. During this workshop, I reminded myself that my passions, skills and strengths are the special attributes that make me a unique individual and are the things which add value to my work.
Awura shared some helpful insight based on her own life journey, from her academic experience to working in media- and entertainment law and finally, making a huge leap to found Creative Women Collective.
Here are few points from Awura’s workshop that really impacted me:
- Pursue your gifts and talents in a way that fulfills you.
- Don’t compromise yourself. Don’t negotiate your integrity.
- Stepping out is finding out. New doors will open when you’re true to yourself and dare to focus on your true calling.
- Life is a journey and over that time, change is inevitable. So, be flexible about who you are.
- Trust your gut. If you feel unsettled it may be ‘cause you’re walking the wrong path. Explore it.
- Fail fast and fail forward.
- When you reach a crossroad in life and have to make a choice, remember to stay true to you. If something you try doesn’t workout, that’s OK. You can always explore a new path or turn around, and go back to who you are at your core.
Now, it’s your turn to join us! To follow along with our exercises, all you need is a pen, paper, mirror and an open mind. Before you start, find a quiet spot where you will not be disturbed.
The goal of both exercises to figure out where you are in your life, to register it and finally to set an intention (followed by action) to change it.
Journal exercise – circa 10 minutes
- How can I be more authentic to myself?
- How am I betraying myself?
- What can I do daily to be more authentic?
Self-reflection mirror exercise – circa 5 min
- Look at yourself.
- What do you see?
- What don’t you see?
- What do you want to see?
Write it down.